About the Rural Assistance Center
On this page
What is the Rural Assistance Center?
A product of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Rural
Initiative, the Rural Assistance Center (RAC) was established in December 2002
as a rural health and human services "information portal." RAC
helps rural communities and other rural stakeholders access the full range of
available programs, funding, and research that can enable them to provide
quality health and human services to rural residents.
Who Uses the Rural Assistance Center?
RAC users include anyone seeking to maintain and improve the access, quality, and
financial viability of rural health and human service delivery systems. For
- Local providers of health and human services
- Community-based organizations
- Local government officials or representatives of their national
- Rural community advocates
- State government offices
- State and national organizations dedicated to improving rural health and
- Private foundation representatives
- Congressional offices
- Others interested in rural health and human services issues
RAC offers many services to help inform decisions affecting rural health and
All services are provided free of charge.
- Online Library - Provides access to thousands of
resources, including funding and opportunities, news, events, organizations,
maps, and publications.
- Topics & States - Features information,
resources, and data for specific topics and states.
- Tools for Success - Tools to help communities plan
and implement successful projects, including program models and innovations,
strategies that work, and tools for demonstrating need and impact.
- RAC Publications & Updates - Original
publications from the Rural Assistance Center, including health and human
services updates, The Rural Monitor, webinars, the Directory of Rural Health
Contacts, and customizable maps.
Electronic Mailing Lists
Users can subscribe to receive email updates on:
- Latest funding opportunities
- Recent news
- New documents and tools
- Upcoming events
RAC maintains a clearinghouse of rural health and human services resources. Our
information specialists provide free customized
- Identify potential funding opportunities
- Locate appropriate federal or state agency contacts
- Find and print electronic documents
- Locate statistics, data sources and maps
- Connect you to organizations, experts, and colleagues
By putting callers with rural concerns in contact with appropriate U.S.
Department of Health and Human Services contacts, the Rural Assistance Center
also serves as a single point of entry into the Department.
Spread the Word
The Rural Assistance Center (RAC) is seeking your help to
spread the word about our services to people and organizations in your
community. Ideas for sharing information about RAC include distribution of RAC
promotional items, articles about RAC in your organization’s newsletter,
and a variety of other methods.