Community health worker (CHW) programs are broken down into six categories. Please note program models are not mutually exclusive; some programs may fall into more than one category. This allows for greater flexibility in program design.
- Promotora de Salud/Lay Health Worker Model
CHWs are members of a target population sharing social, cultural and economic characteristics.
- Member of Care Delivery Team Model
CHW renders direct health services collaborating with medical professionals.
- Care Coordinator/Manager Model
CHW helps people with complex health conditions navigate health care systems.
- Health Educator Model
CHW delivers education to a target population.
- Outreach and Enrollment Agent Model
Similar to Health Educator model, with greater outreach and enrollment responsibilities.
- Community Organizer and Capacity Builder Model
CHW promotes community action and build community support for new activities.
- Program Model Resources