Presbyterian Hunger Program
The Presbyterian Hunger Program provides funding to programs that work to address the root causes of hunger and look for long-term solutions. Grantees may also provide services to those experiencing hunger.
Priority areas of funding include:
- Direct Food Relief: Available to programs that provide provide food relief to impoverished people in either acute or chronic conditions of hunger with an eye to long-range solutions. Funding can be used for start-up costs for new programs or new projects of existing programs
- Development Assistance: Available to programs that work toward the empowerment of impoverished people in such areas as agricultural training, community organization, economic development, nutrition education, public health, and/or family planning. The proposed activities may increase employment opportunities or provide assistance to unemployed persons
- Public Policy Advocacy: Available to programs that advocate for policy changes that address the root causes of hunger
- Lifestyle Integrity: Available to programs that help churches move toward corporate and personal lifestyles that are sensitive to the earth's limited resources
- Education and Interpretation: Available to programs that educate the church and public about the root causes of hunger
Eligible organizations are those that work in one or more of the traditional five areas and fit the following criteria:
- Organizations, including PC (USA) congregations, demonstrating that a significant part of their work, or the specific project for which funds are being sought, attempts to address the root and systemic causes of hunger
- Organizations whose strategies, activities and
outcomes do not sufficiently attempt to address root
causes of hunger will not be eligible for funding.
Exceptions to this are:
- Projects that help feed or house an especially neglected and underserved constituency
- Presbyterian congregations running a hunger or homelessness ministry
- Presbyterian congregations creating a new hunger ministry or adding to an existing hunger ministry with a new type of hunger/poverty initiative
Award Ceiling: $20,000
Award Floor: $500
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RAC does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.