Economic Development Assistance Programs
This funding record is inactive. Please see the program website or contact the program sponsor to determine if this program is currently accepting applications or will open again in the future.
A list of state contacts is available on the program website.
These funds will be provided to rural and urban communities in distressed regions to support the implementation of regional economic development. The goal is to spur job creation, leverage private capital investments, and strengthen America's ability to compete in a global marketplace.
Past projects have included funding for water and wastewater projects in hospitals and healthcare facilities, and road infrastructure projects that would support the expansion of healthcare facilities.
Funding is available for:
Public Works Projects:
- Water and sewer system improvements
- Industrial parks
- Shipping and logistics facilities
- Brownfield development
- Telecommunications infrastructure and development facilities
Economic Adjustment Assistance:
Awards funding to projects that have specific solutions for regional economic development. Projects must foster collaboration, create jobs, and attract investment.
A project must be located in a region that meets one (or more) of the following economic distress criteria:
- An unemployment rate that is, for the most recent 24-month period for which data are available, at least one percentage point greater than the national average unemployment rate
- Per capita income that is, for the most recent period for which data are available, 80 percent or less of the national average per capita income
- "Special Need," as determined by EDA and as discussed in section VIIL of the funding opportunity announcement
Entities eligible to apply include:
- District organizations
- Indian tribes or a consortium of tribes
- States, cities, or other subdivisions of a state
- Institutions of higher education
- Public or private nonprofit organizations
Generally, the amount of the EDA grant may not exceed 50 percent of the total cost of the project. Projects may receive up to an additional 30 percent, based on the relative needs of the region in which the project will be located.
The Public Works and Economic Development Facilities program offers grants from $500,000 to $2,000,000.
The Economic Adjustment Assistance program offers grants from $100,000 to $1,250,000.
EDA will review applications in quarterly funding cycles. The next four deadlines are:
- December 13, 2013
- March 13, 2014
- June 13, 2014
- October 17, 2014
Links to the full announcement and electronic application are available through grants.gov.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RAC does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.