Skip to main content
RAC logo

Search Options

Funding Tips

Federal Funding

Federal grant applicants must have a DUNS number.

Most federal agencies require electronic submission of grant proposals. People interested in applying federal funding should register early with to avoid application problems.

How to get to the funding information on our website

Select the Funding link from the top navigation bar from anywhere in the RAC website, or go to All the resources mentioned below are linked from there.

The Rural Assistance Center can help you:

Learn more about funding

Detailed topic guides on different aspects of funding are available on the RAC site. Some topics that you can read about in detail include:

Find funding opportunities

The latest Funding News from the Federal Register and other sources are available on the News by Topic: Funding page. Announcements are added daily Monday-Friday, so check back often.

The Rural Assistance Center website offers summaries of federal, state and foundation funding opportunities. Each funding summary includes information on the program's sponsoring organization, purpose, eligibility, amount of funding, deadline, application procedures, contact for more assistance, and a link to the program website.

There are several ways to view current funding:



  • Quick Search. Enter a word or phrase, like "school" or "technology" and get a list of matching active funding opportunities. The more words you include, the fewer funding opportunities will match. You may also want to browse by topic.
  • Advanced Search. Using this search feature, you can specify:

    Topic. The search screen allows you to enter a word or phrase describing your topic, like "school" or "health care." The more words you include, the fewer funding opportunities will match.

    Sponsor type. You can search for opportunities from a specific type of funder, like foundations or federal government.

    Geographic coverage. You can choose to view funding that is available nationwide by checking the box next to National. You can also include funding available for your state by checking the box next to State and then selecting your state from the drop-down menu. Only states that have funding opportunities are listed in the menu.

    Active funding. You can limit your results to active funding or also include inactive funding. Inactive funding opportunities could be available again in the future.

You may also want to sign up for the RAC Updates to receive twice-monthly email notices about new funding opportunities. You can subscribe at:

In addition to the funding summaries, Rural Assistance Center staff can help you identify potential funding sources. To request a custom search of federal and private foundation funding opportunities, contact the Rural Assistance Center at:

Phone: 1-800-270-1898
Fax: 1-800-270-1913

Please include the following information:

  • Your name and organization
  • The type of project you are interested in funding
  • The location for your project: city, county and state

Determine if your location meets the rural eligibility requirement for certain funding programs

The Am I Rural? service can be used to help determine whether a specific location is considered rural based on various definitions of rural, including definitions that are used as eligibility criteria for certain federal programs. The grant programs currently covered by Am I Rural? include:

  • Office of Rural Health Policy Grant Programs
  • Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Rural Health Clinics status
  • Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Medicare Telemedicine Reimbursement

If you are interested in applying for one of these programs, you can check whether your location is eligible by entering the address in the Am I Rural? service. Most programs have additional requirements you will also need to meet to be eligible. Your "Am I Rural?" report is not a guarantee of your eligibility status. Please check with the program contacts directly to verify your eligibility for specific federal programs.

Find statistics, research and maps to support your grant applications

The Rural Assistance Center has Topic Guides on a variety of topics that can be used to support grantwriting. In particular, the Statistics and Data guide includes many useful links.

Maps can be an effective way to illustrate the needs facing your community. The RAC Maps section provides national maps addressing a variety of health and human services topics. Maps can be customized to focus on a specific state or county and to show additional data, labels and boundaries. More mapping options are available through the Center for Applied Research and Environmental Systems.

Rural Assistance Center staff can help you find specific statistics and research to support your proposal. To request a custom search, contact the Rural Assistance Center at:

Phone: 1-800-270-1898
Fax: 1-800-270-1913

Phone: 1-800-270-1898

Copyright@ 2002–2014 Rural Assistance Center. All rights reserved.
Accessibility | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

Funding for this project was supported by Grant Number U56RH05539 from the Office of Rural Health Policy, Health Resources and Services Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The contents of this website are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the funder.