Health Insurance Outreach and Enrollment
Rural healthcare facilities, public health agencies, and human service providers can help their patients, clients, and community members understand the health insurance options available under the Affordable Care Act. Providers can:
- Conduct outreach campaigns.
- Provide information directly to patients and clients about health coverage options in a culturally appropriate way and inform them that financial help, to pay for health insurance, is available.
- Refer patients and clients to people and organizations who can provide in-person assistance and help them navigate the system, evaluate options, and sign up for health coverage.
- Share the Health Insurance Marketplace website with everyone they interact with. Explain that the website is available to help people review their coverage options and sign up for coverage online, including Medicaid, Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), or private insurance coverage.
Guidance on outreach and enrollment efforts is available from:
America, a non-profit and non-partisan organization that works
to maximize the number of Americans who enroll in
- The Office of Rural Health Policy's ACA Team
There are more organizations related to Health Insurance Outreach and Enrollment in the organizations section.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why would rural healthcare providers want to share information with their patients regarding signing up for health insurance via the Health Insurance Marketplace?
- What strategies can rural health and human service providers use to get key information about insurance enrollment to their patients (in-reach)?
- Why would rural providers share information about health insurance enrollment with their patients outside of the open enrollment period?
- What strategies can rural health and human service providers use to get key information about insurance enrollment out to people in their community (outreach)?
- What resources are available in my state to assist with outreach, education and enrollment?
- Where can I find materials to use in outreach efforts, such as brochures and posters?
- How can our staff access accurate information and training about the Health Insurance Marketplaces and how to help people navigate the process of signing up for insurance?
- How can I connect to other people around the country who are doing outreach and enrollment work?
- Where can I continue to get up-to-date and rural-specific information related to Health Insurance Outreach and Enrollment?