Skip to main content
RAC logo

Search Options

State and Regional Agencies and Organizations

The organizations listed on this page are state-based or region-based and have an interest in rural health and human services. To find organizations and agencies that focus on a specific topic, please consult the topic guide. To find organizations and agencies serving a specific state, please see RAC's state resources.


Directory of State and Regional Primary Care Associations
Lists address, phone, email, and web addresses for state and regional Primary Care Associations (PCAs). PCAs work to promote, expand, and optimize access to primary care.
Sponsoring organization: National Association of Community Health Centers

Directory of State Primary Care Offices (PCOs)
Primary Care Offices (PCO) represent the needs of the underserved populations and the providers who serve them. These offices can provide designation application help and State shortage information as well as information on the Conrad 30 J-1 Visa Waiver program, loan repayment programs, and recruitment and retention.
Sponsoring organization: Bureau of Primary Health Care

HIT Regional Extension Centers (RECs) Directory
Contains a list of the Health Information Technology Regional Extension Centers (RECs) across the United States.
Sponsoring organization: Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology

National AHEC Organization - AHEC Directory
Lists contact information for regional AHECs by state. AHEC's (Area Health Education Centers) work to recruit, train and retain health professionals committed to underserved populations.
Sponsoring organization: National Area Health Education Center Organization

National Association of State Offices of Minority Health: State Offices
Lists contact information for directors of state offices of minority health.
Sponsoring organization: National Association of State Offices of Minority Health

USDA Rural Development State Offices and Directors
Provides contact information for the USDA Rural Development state offices.


Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC)
Phone: 202.884.7700
Supports economic and social development in all of West Virginia and parts of twelve other states: Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia. Includes grants and funding, research, data, and maps.

Delta Regional Authority (DRA)
Phone: 662.624.8600
Consists of a federal-state partnership serving 252 counties and parishes in Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, and Tennessee. Designed to remedy severe and chronic economic distress by stimulating economic development and fostering partnerships that will have a positive impact on the region's economy.

United States - Mexico Border Health Commission (USMBHC)
Provides international leadership to optimize health and quality of life along the U.S.-Mexico border. Comprised of the federal secretaries of health, the chief health officers of the ten border states and prominent community health professionals from both nations. Includes a directory of border state outreach offices.

Western Governors' Association (WGA)
Phone: 303.623.9378
Addresses important policy and governance issues in the West, advances the role of the Western states in the federal system, and strengthens the social and economic fabric of the region.

Phone: 1-800-270-1898

Copyright@ 2002–2014 Rural Assistance Center. All rights reserved.
Accessibility | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

Funding for this project was supported by Grant Number U56RH05539 from the Office of Rural Health Policy, Health Resources and Services Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The contents of this website are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the funder.