Skip to main content

Veterans and Returning Soldiers

Many returning soldiers and veterans living in rural areas fail to get the help they need because of barriers to health care and other human services. The primary barrier facing this population is the geographic distance from the nearest Veterans Administration (VA) health facility. In other cases, some returning soldiers and veterans do not qualify for some or any VA benefits, or they are unaware of the benefits, services, and facilities available to them. Therefore, numerous cases of chronic and acute mental, social, and physical conditions remain untreated.

Some returning soldiers and veterans face poverty, unemployment, homelessness, substance abuse, depression, and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. VA health facilities address these issues by developing partnerships with area community health clinics and hospitals to deliver care via telemedicine, mobile VA clinics and community-based outpatient clinics. More and more, the VA also depends on non-profit, veteran service organizations to help care for the growing population of returning soldiers and veterans in need of health care and basic human services.


DHCC Helpline for Clinicians and Providers
Deployment Health Clinical Center
Toll Free: 866.559.1627
Phone: 301.400.1517 (DSN 469.1517)

Suicide Prevention
800.273.TALK (8255)

Resource for Retired or Separated Veterans
United States Department of Veterans Affairs

  • VA Benefits: 800.827.1000
  • Health Care Benefits: 877.222.8387
  • Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD): 800.829.4833

Housing and Homelessness
National Call Center for Homeless Veterans: 877.4AID VET (877.424.3838)

Reintegration Resource for Service Members Returning from Combat Zones
Veteran's Outreach Center: 585.546.1081, 866.906.8387,

VA Assistance During Hurricane Emergencies
Veterans and their families can call 800.507.4571 for information and assistance about VA facilities

There are more organizations related to Veterans and Returning Soldiers in the organizations section.

Frequently Asked Questions